Sunday, January 11, 2009

Italian Theater

Last night was another interesting time out on the town! We had Italian class at 6 then we got a quick bite to eat before heading off to meet up with Luca again. One of his friends girlfriend was in a local play at the theater. I believe she is studying theater at the University here in Genova. We were excited about the chance to see it. The play was at 8:30. I was able to snap one shot before it started and we had to turn our cameras off. I was playing with my camera's color settings so that it only shows the red chairs and some of the blush on peoples faces.

The play was great but we obviously did not understand much of it. We were able to get the gist of the play because we could understand the emotions they were portraying. The play was about a game of chess being played for peoples lives. Its a Swiss movie that has been converted for theater. We are hoping to get a copy of it somehow so maybe we can understand more of what we saw. Either way, it was a great Italian cultural experience.

After the play, we headed out to a local pub with Luca, Alesandro, Ljuba (loo-bah), Sarah, and her family. Sarah was the girl in the play. We had some really great sandwiches and a couple of beers and sat around practicing some more Italian. By the time we finished dinner, it was around 12:30.  6 of us originally went to the play. Jonathan, Lindsey, Drew, Leslee, Heather, and myself.  After we finished eating, we wanted to go see Luca's friends who were playing in a club near by.    Heather and I had talked to Luca earlier in the day about going to the concert so we didn't want to back out now.  Plus I had a nap earlier in the day, so I was still good to go energy wise. The others in our group headed on back to the villa.  

The club was called Milk.  We had to sign up  for a local concert pass which was 15 Euros but it will last us all semester and now we can get into those shows for free.   Once we got inside, we found out the concert was basically a rock show and the band was bringing the house down.  Reminded me of the House Blues with Candlebox Allen, ha.  You will be happy to know that I got the set list too!   Anyways, after the show stopped around 3 a.m. The music switched over to all American rock music and the place turned into a dance club.  There was a strobe light going the whole time which made for a pretty wild experience.  I threw in a short video just so you could get a feel for what it was like.  

We danced for a couple hours and hung out with our Italian friends some more!  Ljuba, another friends of Luca's,  is trying to work on her english so she makes me talk to her in Italian and she tries to speak to me in English.  Its really great practice for both of us.    

At about 4:30 am,  we decided it was prob. time to head back home.  Ljuba gave us a ride back up to the villa which was a life saver.  Its normally about a 20 min hard walk back up to our place.  I will be able to run stairs in my sleep by the time I come back home.  We are getting tons of exercise.  


We had Italian class this morning and we are headed down to the port tonight for dinner with our Italian professor.  We are having a traditional 3 course meal in the true Genovese style.  It should be a great time!  As with all of our other experiences, I will let you know how it went as soon as I get time.   

Until next time! 
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment